It’s hard getting good food into yourself when you suddenly find yourself alone with your new baby. Those kids do not like being put down!
Today’s Recipe Time recipe is a great protein and vegetable rich salad with lots of flavour that will provide you with food for a few days. This is a perfect addition if you also have a partner taking lunches to work every day leaving you home, alone, with a helpless infant, alone. Did I mention the leaving you alone part? I’m still processing that a decade later!
NOTE: there are ingredients in today’s recipe that are sold in Canada. You will be able to source a replacement in your own area, but you may have to ask someone at your favourite supermarket for a little guidance.
Easy Thai Slaw
- 1 C quinoa, prepared according to directions and then cooled
- 1 red sweet pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 green/spring onions, diced
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, de-stem leaves and chop
- 2 C salted roasted cashews
- 1 bag PC Broccoli Slaw (rainbow slaw, three-colour slaw are perfect alternatives)
- 1/2 bottle of PC Memories of Szechwan Spicy Peanut Satay Sauce (satay sauce, ginger and peanut dressing are good alternatives)
Prepared and cool the quinoa, chop the veggies, mix everything together and voila!
This dish makes a lot. And it’s sooooo good! It’s a bit spicy but not overwhelmingly so. The cilantro and onions give a very fresh and bright smell and taste to this dish. It’s perfect in a big bowl on it’s own or as a side dish. And it travels well for those partners who are returning to work and need to pack a lunch.
Our postpartum doulas are excellent cooks and can make food like this for new parents. If you’d like us to take care of you after your baby arrives send us a note!
If you try this recipe, let us know what you thought!